We can find many poker tips saying what is good and what is not, but in order to actually learn poker strategy and make this game profitable you need to distinguish what you should be learning at the start of your journey.
If you are an experienced player, this article is not going to help you much, and you should take a look ad advanced Texas Holdem strategy tips instead.
However, if you are just starting out, it will save you a lot of time and money on the way. I went through all the stages from being a complete beginner to playing poker professionally for a living and in this article, I will give you the best poker tips for beginners. Also make sure you test them out at DominoQQ online tables.
1. LEARN THE RULES, POSITIONS AND POKER HANDS RANKING.
Naturally, this is the first step you want to take and most players understand that. While learning general Texas Holdem poker rules can be easy, you should really spend some time understanding what poker hand ranking is. You should not be in the spot where you are in the middle of the hand and have to think are you beating a straight with your flush or not and be wasting your valuable decision time on that. This is how poker hand ranking looks:
Learning positions is invaluable and you should not start playing before doing that. You probably have heard already, even if you did not play before, that position is very important in poker. I would say, even more, it is one of the most important poker tips you need to learn when starting out! So do not overlook it!
Generally, if you have a position on other players it means you are acting after them and it enables to see what they do before making your decision.
This is a huge chunk of information, which you can take into consideration. You will know if they bet or check, how long they take to make a decision and what sizing they are using.
For example, seeing that your opponent checks quickly could be a good indication of him having a weak hand and you can decide to bluff knowing that. There are many examples like this one, but one thing is clear – it is better to see that information than to give it to your opponent.
When you will be ready to learn poker strategy just remember that having a position is crucial in poker games and you should play much more hands while being in position.
The hands you decide to play are largely affected by the position you are in. The later position you have the more hands you can be opening and putting much more pressure on your opponents.
2. START AT LOW STAKES TO UNDERSTAND POKER STRATEGY
Always take this poker tip into consideration before jumping into your games. Many players find no interest in playing low games, but you need to see that your goal is to learn poker strategy and not to waste money while doing that. Therefore, you have a few reasons for starting at low stakes:
- Firstly, you will feel more comfortable knowing that you are not risking a lot of money and even if you lose some at the beginning it will not hurt you. You will be able to learn the game and will not be spending a lot of money on the process so that is a good idea.
- Secondly, a player’s skill level increases every time when you move up stakes. Starting at the lowest limits lets you play versus weakest players and learn the game instead of donating money to ones who are much better right now.
- Lastly, it enables you to see the whole picture and get a feel the whole game looks. You will understand positions, what poker hands you should play and can take everything in practice.